As a leader in the lawn and garden industry, Fiskars believes in contributing to community gardening and the healthy, sustainable living it provides. Through Project Orange Thumb®, Fiskars awards cash, garden tools and materials to help support community garden goals across North America. This year’s grant recipients are:
- Bread for the City, Washington, D.C.
- Dinosaur Hill Nature Preserve, Rochester, Michigan
- Boys and Girls Club of America, Alameda, California
- GRuB Farm, Olympia, Washington
- The Sustainable Food Center, Austin, Texas
- The Karma Project, Penetanguishene, Ontario
- Midtown Partners, Inc., Jackson, Mississippi
- Community Food Initiatives, Appalachian, Ohio
- Esquimalt Community Gardens Society, Esquimalt, B.C.
- Another Avenue Cultural Resource Center, Nashville, Tennessee
In addition, community-based non-profit organization Rockaway Waterfront Alliance of Far Rockaway, New York, will receive a complete garden makeover in their neighborhood. Fiskars will visit their chosen site and team-up with volunteers, local business leaders and community partners to transform a vacant space into a beautiful and productive community garden — all in just one day.